The software engineering process – i.e. the process whose main purpose is to develop programming – constitutes a compilation of numerous approaches (methodologies, methods, standards). Organizations that develop software take varied approaches to support the overall software engineering process. These approaches extend to many areas and suggest certain ways to function. Accordingly, developing a formal definition of the software engineering process requires the best aspects of the given approach to be tailored to the given organization and/or the projects it is conducting and to be consistently compiled.
Standards complement each other, but they also often overlap, which makes the engineer building and adapting the Software Engineering Process Model responsible for:
- identification of the common parts of standards,
- specification of the points of intersection between different approaches, and
- selection and modeling of the optimal solution.
Implementation of a new approach, including its incorporation into already existing standards, requires the launch of an IT initiative (which we call the “Process Improvement Program”) whose main objective is to rationalize the software engineering process so that it can be reusable and constitute a stable basis for ongoing evaluation and improvement. Thus, establishment of a Process Improvement Program becomes a rational decision to draw benefits from the implementation of methodologies and standards supporting the software engineering process.
Our advisory services and technology solutions allow for streamlining the software development process and for the optimal use of the organization’s existing tools so that the development process is optimized for the organization. This provides practically immediate benefits in the areas of project and quality performance.
The proposed streamlining of the development process and its automation enable an organization to:
- document the process,
- identify and document the functional and extra-functional characteristics of project products,
- monitor changes in the aforementioned characteristics,
- register, report and supervise the degree to which changes are implemented,
- verify project products in terms of their satisfaction of the requirements established for them,
- improve the process of implementing changes in the software produced,
- increase control and efficiency of change process management,
- link activities and changes with particular modified versions of software,
- share selected project artifacts stored in the repository with external entities (subcontractors),
- perform tasks in a geographically scattered environment,
- improve the reconciliation process whereby stakeholders agree upon the scope of the system being built,
- provide the project team with precise and thorough information about the requirements of the IT system being built,
- precisely specify the scope of the system,
- provide data for the implementation task planning process in successive iterations,
- provide data enabling estimates of the costs and time required to implement the system,
- conduct all kinds of tests as well as deep analyses of their results, including vulnerability tests.
You can find out more about the solution automating the software development process on the producer’s website tutaj.